No. 18-4/2009-Lib (Pt.):-. In pursuance of Cabinet Secretariat’s I.D. No. 292/2/1/2012-CA.III dated 20th March, 2012, a high level Committee i.e., National Mission on Libraries is constituted with the following composition, terms of reference and other modalities:-
- Prof. Deepak Pental, Chairman
- Shri BS Baswan, Member
- Dr. Sanjiv Misra, Member
- Dr. H.K. Kaul, Member
- Prof. ARD Prasad, Member
- Prof. Subbiah Arunachalam, Member
- Mrs. Sudha Murty, Member
- One of the Trustees of Sir Ratan Tata Trust, Member
- Secretary, Department of Higher Education, Min of HRD, Member(Ex-Officio)
- Secretary, Ministry of Culture, Member - Convenor
All Members of the Mission would be on part-time basis and would not claim any salary for their association with the Mission.
- TERMS OF REFERENCE
The following are the terms of reference for the proposed National Mission on Libraries:
- Advising the Government of India on all library and information sector matters of national importance.
- Preparing long term plans and strategies for development of the library sector, including conceptualization and approval of projects and preparation of a "National policy on Library and Information Systems for India".
- Interacting with State Governments on all library matters, especially on public library matters.
- Setting standards, including quality standards, for library collections, services, technical work and infrastructure, and devising in-built mechanisms to ensure compliance for all types of libraries.
- Encouraging and promoting partnership with corporate sector, philanthropic organizations, as well as bilateral and international agencies in the development of the library and information sector.
- Reviewing and assessing current status of library and information service education and in-service training facilities, and working with agencies such as the UGC and universities to address the identified issues.
- Coordinating with stakeholder Ministries such as the Ministry of Culture, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Ministry of Information Technology, Department of Panchayati Raj etc., to ensure effective implementation of the NKC recommendations and management of the post-implementation scenario.
- Coordination with other national stakeholders of the library and information sector, such as the University Grants Commission (UGC), the All India Council for Technical Education(AICTE), Raja Rammohun Roy Library Foundation (RRRLF), Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR), Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR), Indian Council for Social Science Research (ICSSR) and so on, to ensure effective implementation of the recommendations and management of the post-implementation scenario.
- Collaborating with counterpart agencies in other countries to explore areas for cooperation which will lead to strengthening of India’s library and information sector.
- Securing public support through advocacy and media by providing evidence of delivery, usage, outcomes and impact.
- Helping State Governments (that do not yet have library legislation) in formulating State Library Acts.
- CO-OPT EXPERTS
- The Mission would be free to co-opt experts to associate with it in the management of its tasks.
- TENURE OF THE MISSION
The tenure of the National Mission on Libraries will be three years.
- METHOD OF OPERATION The Mission will address its Terms of Reference through Working Groups to be constituted for the purpose of formulating elaborate plans of action.
- MANAGEMENT SUPPORT
The Management Support to the Mission would be as follows:
Raja Rammohun Roy Library Foundation, an autonomous body under the Ministry of Culture will be the nodal agency for the National Mission on Libraries for administrative, logistic, planning and budgeting purposes.
- TRAVELLING AND DAILY ALLOWANCE
The non- official members will be paid travelling and daily allowances for attending the meeting of the National Mission on Libraries according to the existing norms. Sitting fee will also be paid according to the rates fixed by the Government of India from time to time.
(Dr. V. Venu)
Joint Secretary to the Govt. of India
The General Manager,
Govt. of India Press,
- Secretary to the President, Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi.
- Secretary to the Vice-President, Maulana Azad Road, New Delhi.
- Cabinet Secretary, Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi
- Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister, South Block, New Delhi
- PS to Hon’ble Minister, Ministry of Culture.
- Prof. Deepak Pental, Chairman, National Mission on Libraries.
- Shri B.S. Baswan, Member, National Mission on Libraries.
- Dr. Sanjiv Misra, Member, National Mission on Libraries.
- Dr. H.K. Kaul, Member, National Mission on Libraries.
- Prof. ARD Prasad, Member, National Mission on Libraries.
- Prof. Subbiah Arunachalam, Member, National Mission on Libraries.
- Mrs. Sudha Murty, Member, National Mission on Libraries.
- Sir Ratan Tata Trust, Mumbai
- Secretary, Deptt. of Higher Education, Ministry of HRD, Member, National Mission on Libraries.
- Secretary, Ministry of Culture, Member – Convenor, National Mission on Libraries.
- Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission, Yojana Bhavan, New Delhi
- Cabinet Secretariat (Attn: Shri Bhaskar Jyoti Sharma), Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi w.r.t. their I.D. No. 292/2/1/2012-CA.III dated 20th March, 2012.
- Prime Minister’s Office, South Block, New Delhi
- All Ministries/ Departments of Govt. of India
- Shri K.K. Banerjee, Director, Raja Rammohun Roy Library Foundation, Block DD/34, Sector-I, Salt Lake City, Kolkata-700064.
- Chief Secretaries of all States / Union Territories.
- Secretary General, Rajya Sabha Secretariat, New Delhi.
- Secretary General, Lok Sabha Secretariat, New Delhi.
- All Joint Secretaries, Ministry of Culture.
- AS& FA, Ministry of Culture
- CCA, Ministry of Culture
- All Directors / Deputy Secretaries, Ministry of Culture
- On Ministry of Culture website.